KATARA-16 New Features: (1) Larger capacity (now 16-Liters); (2) Dual backpack straps that can be converted to a single shoulder carry slingbag; (3) Hidden compartment for compact/subcompact CCW carry; (4) Hydration or Tablet/12” Ultrabook support; (5) 1000-D bottom and 500-D body CORDURA construction for the best weight to strength balance.
The 2018 KATARA-16 backpack is perfect for the urban traveler, CCW user, or the dedicated EDC (everyday-carry) enthusiast. With removable straps, you can quickly convert the KATARA-16 into a single-shoulder VSlinger whenever you desire the quick accessibility of a slingpack.
The outer top pocket has a zippered compartment, elastic webbing organization, a slip pocket, and a hook-and-loop field for ID patches. Two Hypalon MOLLE-Air side panels lets you attach our HYDRA Water Bottle Holder or single channel MOLLE accessories.
The bottom pocket is lined with 210-D high-viz orange ripstop nylon, and has room for an iPad Mini, wallets, phones etc. Behind this pocket is a hidden CCW compartment for a compact / subcompact. The outside of the pocket has a low-profile laser-cut CORDURA MOLLE-Air panel for additional attachments.
Inside of the KATARA, there’s a a padded sleeve for a tablet / small laptop that can be accessed from the left or right side of the pack. This sleeve also doubles as a hydration bladder pocket. The front of the sleeve is lined with loop fabric for your hook-and-loop accessories.
Opposite to the padded sleeve, you’ll find zippered pocket on top, and a “3-Mode” convertible pocket on the bottom. The “3-Mode” convertible pocket can be opened from its left or right zipper, and has a flap top closure. The “3-Mode” pocket can also be rolled-down and stored, revealing a large loop field for more hook-and-loop accessory attachments. There are two side internal pockets with elastic retention for medical gear, knives, or flashlights.
The newly designed back panel lets you remove and switch shoulder straps to setup your KATARA as a right- or left-shoulder VSlinger slingpack for quick access. Shoulder straps are secured with hook-and-loop fasteners, durable Duraflex buckles and G-hooks. It’s like having multiple bags in one package!
For the best balance of weight and strength, we use ultra-durable 1000-D Cordura® nylon at high-wear areas (bottom, sides), and 500-D Cordura® for the rest of the bag. Our Cordura® is treated with DWR (Durable Water Repellent) for all-weather performance, and will be ready every time you need it.
- Total Pack Capacity: 16 Liters
- Net Weight: 2.65 pounds | 1202 grams
- Overall Exterior Size (Fully Extended with Handles): 18" (H) x 10.5" (W) x 7" (D)
- Main Compartment (Interior): 17" (H) x 9" (W) x 4" (D)
- Top Front Pocket (Interior): 7" (H) x 8.5" (W) x 1.75" (D)
- Bottom Front Pocket (Interior): 9.75" (H) x 8.5" (W) x 1" (D)
- Hidden CCW Compartment (Interior): 9" (H) x 8" (W)
- Padded Laptop/Tablet sleeve (Interior): 16" (H) x 8.5" (W) x 0.6" (D)
- Convertible from Backpack to a left or right sided VSlinger sling pack
- Adjustable and removeable shoulder straps with sternum strap that doubles as your stabilizer strap
- Low profile Hypalon MOLLE-Air side panels plus Cordura MOLLE-Air front panel for modular exspansion
- Hook-and-loop lined main compartment for user configuration
- Padded grab handle for comfortable carry
- Tablet / Laptop (up to 12" Ultrabook) / 2L Hydration bladder sleeve
- Three way convertible pocket offer top or either side access
- Front loop panel for Moral / Flag patches
- Materials: 1,000-D Mil-grade Cordura® fabric on the bottom and 500-D Cordura®for the body treated with Durable Water Repellant
- High-visibility, lightweight & moisture resistant 210-D Ripstop nylon interior.
- Durable RC-Class YKK® lockable zippers, reversed for protection.
- Mil-grade ITW® and UTX-Duraflex® hardware made from high tensile strength Acetal polymer.
- Spartan Zipper pulls
- MOLLE-compatible attachment system with PALS webbing
- Lightweight MOLLE-Air structure for MOLLE accessory attachment
- Hypalon durable rubber laminate MOLLE panels
- High tensile strength nylon webbings and binding tapes
- Finished with high tensile strength bonded nylon thread
6 Reviews Show Reviews
First of all, I live ik Belgium and I was suprised about how fast my package was sent adn recieved! Very good and quick service :) Second thing is, that It is a small backpack indeed as I thought, but I was suprised again about how much there fits in this small backpack... This NOT a camping bag or something you can use to go hiking for days or weeks. It is a very good and high quality daypack which you can you use to go for dayouts, work, a very long walk, or if you are selective with your gear you can do at least 2 days and 1 night outdoors. The only thing that let me down were the zipper qualities, I’ve had back packs where they could open a lot faster and easy, I think it is probably because they wanted the bag to be more compact and safe so nobody could sniff in it easily or pickpocket in it.... Overall it is not a big issue for me and I am still well satisfied of this bag. WORTH EVERY CENT!
I've started using this pack as my EDC. I chose it primarily for the CCW option. Unique to this pack is that the CCW does not interfere with, nor detract from, any of the other carry space in the bag. The fit and finish of the pack is flawless. The material is first class. The zipper pulls are better than any other pack I own (except this brand). I was able to put almost everything from my larger pack into this pack like magic. A 13" macbook will not quite fit in the laptop pouch in the largest area (but it will fit in the open area). My sun/shooting glasses fit in their case in the top pouch easily. The sling option is not me, but it is available if needed. Oh! It is comfortable to carry. I would highly recommend this pack for EDC.
Excellent EDC backpack. I have owned a few of your backpacks, and always wanted something smaller. The KATARA is small, but so far my favorite. I don't use the sling pack function and I believe the extra hardware might have added some weight, but overall it's great.
I have the old version on the Katara as well. This bag is a step up definitely. The only reason I gave it the 4 stars is because I really like the curved zipper on the old model I would have done 4.5 if I could have. The ability to unzip that once side and have a wide opening to see what was in it was a great feature that I wish was on the new one. But this bag has much better storage and organization than the old version.
This is the best convertible backpack I've found. It's easy to change from 2 straps to 1. Lots of places to attach pouches on either MOLLE or hook and loop. Way more pockets than other bags in the same size. My only complaint is I wish there was a dedicated pocket for body armor but it can easily be put in the main pocket or hydration pouch.
Great bag, I was looking to replace my Maxpedition Edgepeak with backpack straps. Bag fits the bill. Great design, I love all the velcro. Great size for EDC. Will fit some two channel pouches on the side MOLLE. My critiques are. I wish it sat flatter, and the bottom pouch wasnt angled so the pack likes to roll forward.
Vanquest Katara 16: Day Hiking & Everyday Carry (EDC) Backpack and Convertible Sling Bag
The new Vanquest Katara stood out to me at Shot Show 2018 beca...
Vanquest Katara 16 Review Pt. 1 by LearningToBePrepared
This is a review of the updated Katara 16 EDC (everyday carry)...
Vanquest Katara 16 Review Pt. 2 by LearningToBePrepared
This is a review of the updated Katara 16 EDC (everyday carry)...